Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Hi just watched my 3wk old calf pass a stool that looked it

Hi just watched my 3wk old calf pass a stool that looked it had se blood in it. The calf has been fine.there has been an introduction of muesli over the last few day? My other calves seem fine. They have plenty of access to water are on milk replacer and I've been vigilant with hygiene? What could it be and how do I rectify this problem? Thanks jean
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,

Any kind of irritation of the colon or rectum can cause a little blood to show up in the stool. I think it is quite likely that the calf is a little sensitive to the feed change/introduction of pasture/richer diet.

It sounds like your management practices are excellent. I'd recommend continuing to monitor this calf for the next day or so. If it is the feed change, the stool should return to normal within about 3 days. If the calf starts scouring or has a decreased appetite, I'd consider isolating it and either submitting a fecal sample to your vet for analysis or treating for common causes of diarrhea (coccidia, bacterial diarrhea, etc.)

Since it sounds as if the calf is otherwise normal, I'd expect this to clear up quickly as the calf adjusts to pasture.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Hi Jean,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Calf (Cattle East). How is everything going?

DrTaus