Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

My chicken is limping and has white flakes all over her body.

My chicken is limping and has white flakes all over her body. She has lost weight and doesn't move around alot, preferring to sit on the ground.
I am unaware of any accident that she has had to hurt her leg.
Hi there,

It can be tough to tell the difference sometimes between a sick chicken and a lame chicken. Chickens that are ill may be weak and not walk normally, making them appear lame. Since she's lost weight and the white flakes indicate she's not grooming herself normally, I'd suspect that her lameness may be a sign of generally not feeling well.

I would first of all suggest isolating her if you have other chickens. She should be in a place where the other birds can't pick on her and where she doesn't have to move far or compete for food. Offer food and water, and keep her at a comfortable temperature. Poultry mashes are nice for encouraging sick birds to eat.

Her symptoms don't tell us much about what is making her feel unwell. Bacterial infections and fungal infections are common in birds. You might try adding poultry tetracycline, an antibiotic, to her water. You can find this at most feed stores, and should use it according to label directions.

Do you have a poultry-friendly veterinarian in your area? If so, an exam might be able to pinpoint the problem further.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brody. How is everything going?

DrTaus