Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

my albino white 2 yr old poodle... healthy boisterous gorgeous..juat

my albino white 2 yr old poodle... healthy boisterous gorgeous..juat had blood transfusion.. waiting now for blood test results.. my caring vet says 50% parasite..50% internal bleeding..no accident fight..etc.. already had injections for ticks etc collapsed within 2 hours...so hence the transfusion ...??

Pet Doc :

Hello there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding your 2 year old poodle boy Lorenzo

Pet Doc :

Good on you for getting him along to your Vet as is sounds as though Lorenzo was dangerously anaemic

Pet Doc :

It sounds as though your Vet believes there are a couple of main reasons for this including either a blood parasite, or internal blood loss

Pet Doc :

Typically we can work out which could be the case in these scenarios by running a full complete blood count (CBC) as well as biochemistry

Pet Doc :

If there is blood cell destruction by a blood parasite, we will typically also see eleveated bilirubin in the blood

Pet Doc :

We can also see some other smaller changes in the red bloods themselves that can help give us a better idea as to why anaemia is occuring (blood loss vs blood cell destruction)

Pet Doc :

Working out what the cause is in this case is very important as it will dictate the type of treatment used on your boy

Pet Doc :

It is great the transfusion has started as this will raise your boy's red blood cell level again, however further testing ( as above) will be needed to ascertain the root of this problem

Pet Doc :

A full cbc and biochemistry is very important and it would also be a good idea to run a blood clotting panel to help rule out a toxicity like rat bait for example.

Pet Doc :

Hopefully after the transfusion he is much less lethargic

Pet Doc :

and I am sure his appetite will pick up

Pet Doc :

Make sure your Vet follows up with the tests mentioned above

Pet Doc :

It is very important to ascertain the cause of this anemia

Pet Doc :

Let me know how you get on

Pet Doc :

If you have any further questions regarding the above - please let me know

Pet Doc :

I will change to Q and A mode now for this reason as you don't appear to be online

Pet Doc :

If this has been helpful, don't forget to click a smiley :-D face

Pet Doc :

Otherwise - if you need further help, please just let me know

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lorenzos blood test...+2haemobartonella canis and erlicia canis?

Hi there Sandra,

Thanks for your reply. If a test has confirmed Erlichiosis, then treatment for these parasites needs to begin asap. Antibiotics need to be started asap and usually something Doxycycline would be used. If immune destruction of platelets is also occuring, then your Vet may also have to give steroids to counter this. It is less likely this is haemobartonellosis (aka mycoplasma) as this is more common in cats (feline infectious anemia).

To read more about erlichiosis in dogs, please visit here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2103

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lorenzo. How is everything going?

Pet Doc