Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 years of experience.

Our white bull terrier has very sensitive skin, and has been

Our white bull terrier has very sensitive skin, and has been on cortisone regularly to keep the 'HOT-SPOTS' at bay. unfortunately the last breakout has turned into a very large rash covering almost a third of his body, our vet has him on a course of cyclosporin, which he has been on for three weeks, with no apparent result. We want to make sure we are doing everything humanly possible for him as he is such a lovely boy. His fur is thining, yet he dosent seem to be in any pain. He is four years old and has had problems with his skin since we rescued him as a two year old. Hid diet is Eukenoba for sensitve skin mixed with cooked rice and vegetables that we prepare for him, occasionally he will have a lamb/beef bone.. Please tell me there is something else we can do. we know he is allergic to dust mites and some pollens of which we are very carefull to keep him away from.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Walter. The appearance of the very large rash likely indicates a secondary skin infection due to his being immunosuppressed by the oral cyclosporin and topical steroids. Walter's vet needs to perform a cytology of Walter's skin - microscopically examine a sample of the surface of his skin for abnormal numbers of bacteria and/or yeast. A bacterial infection (pyoderma) should be addressed with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin administered for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. A yeast infection is addressed with three weeks of ketoconazole.

Walter should be taken off the cyclosporin - or at least have the dose reduced - if skin infection is confirmed. Once cleared with antimicrobials, the cyclosporin can be reinstituted but at a smaller dose. Please note, also, that the Eukanuba is not considered a hypoallergenic diet. If a food intolerance is a component of Walter's allergic dermatitis you'll want to initiate a truly hypoallergenic diet. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Walter's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra. A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Food intolerance can't be determined by skin scratch or blood testing. We can either perform hypoallergenic food trials as mentioned above or use the new testing as found here: www.nutriscan.org Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Big Island Vet
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 41 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
May I have an update on Walter, please?