Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

We just rescued a german shepherd pup yesterday he is 51/2

We just rescued a german shepherd pup yesterday he is 51/2 months and only weighs 25 pounds his coat looks like someones well loved teddy bear. All that I can work with my worry is his front legs. his feet do not knuckle and it looks like he walks to far up his leg. I've seem this in articals for large breeds in the past but can't find them now. Our goal was to keep him from being put done and get him to a point of a forever home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Hi there,
It's so great to hear that you are putting effort into getting this little guy a good home! 25 lb... wow, if he's a purebred German Shepherd, he is very underweight!

As for the coat, if he's not overtly itchy, I'd suspect Demodex. This is a normal mite that lives in the hair follicles, but when dogs have stress on their immune systems or aren't well cared for, they can grow out of control. Your vet can prescribe medication to help treat them, but the first step would be to take a scraping of his skin and look under the microscope to prove the mites are there in large numbers and it's not something else (flea allergy dermatitis, mange, etc).

Without seeing pictures of him or examining him, it's tough to put my finger on exactly what is going on in the front legs. If he's been malnourished, that may have something to do with it. The best approach would be to have his legs x-rayed to know exactly what you are dealing with and how aggressive you need to get how soon to have a comfortable adult dog.

I would recommend consulting a vet as soon as you can, because dogs that have had a very rough start often need frequent and expensive care to be rehabbed to the point that they are comfortable, adoptable, and well-adjusted. If you know what you are getting into, you can plan ahead and talk to rescue groups for financial help if needed.

In the meantime, make sure to get him on a dog food formulated for large breed puppies right away, and keep him on the puppy food until he is about 2. This will help his skeleton grow slowly to its mature size, and will help it grow as healthy as it can, given his rough start.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Bonnie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kailar. How is everything going?