Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

What is best product to get rid of fleas.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Great question.
First, no shampoos. They only kill fleas and provide benefit for a few days at most. No good. Also, many many allergic reactions and problems with the skin with shampoo products.

Second, more and more complaints with resistance to Frontline.

By far, one of the most effective products is the prescription "pill" called Comfortis. 1 pill given with a full meal every 30 days is great for flea killing, and it is a favorite product for many dermatologists.

Also!
It is very important to treat the pet AND the home/yard as well! Otherwise, you may never succeed.
- Regular vacuuming of the home can help to reduce the number of eggs and larvae in the carpet
- You should vacuum at least every 2 weeks
- To treat the home, you can hire a professional company to bomb (flea foggers) the house. This is often advantageous because they frequently offer a guarantee. Otherwise, you will need to go into a home improvement store and purchase all the appropriate foggers and carpet powders. Remember, one fogger is not good for a whole floor. It is only good for the room size it indicates on the bottle.
Carpet powders containing "borates" are excellent as well.
If you really want to use a topical, than I would choose Vectra 3D.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management