Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I think that my 1 yr old shepherd mix - weighs about 35 lbs

I think that my 1 yr old shepherd mix - weighs about 35 lbs ate some muscles relaxer pills that were in my husbands gym bag. I am not sure how many but I cant imagine more than 3 or 4 of them. She is vomiting & drooling. What can I do at home to help her ?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Kiera.
She sounds quite ill.
I would strongly recommend an emergency vet visit if she does not improve quickly or if symptoms get even worse.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has not vomited in at least 15 minutes and seems to want to rest. She has not shown any other symptoms.

When I noticed her vomit it had to have been within 5 minutes of her ingesting them she threw up 5 or 6 times. only once was bile.

I will get some Pepto in case she needs it... Thank you again

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Lori.
Good Luck and I hope everything works out okay.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kiera. How is everything going?