Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

How much liquids is an adult cat with uti required? My cat went to vet got antibiotic IM.

How much liquids is an adult cat with uti required? My cat went to vet got antibiotic IM. I can't get him to eat or drink. It has been 3 days. I have been using a syringe for liquids. but can only get about 1-2 ounces twice a day in him. Now he is hiding from me.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Liam's situation. So he's not eating at all since the vet visit? Is he getting down and dumpy? Is he straining to urinate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is a little more alert, but just lays around ( not his usual state). He is urinating small amts frequently.

The normal water intake for a cat should be around 30 mls per pound per day. In a situation like this Rose, I would hope that the urinating small frequent amounts would be better at this time with the antibiotics. Urinary tract infections usually improve in a day or two once antibiotics are started. Could he have a situation going on called sterile cystitis or feline idiopathic cystitis. Here is a good link on this and what can be done for it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612

I would call your vet to let them know what he's doing at this time and see if they want to change something. The most important thing in these situations is to absolutely make sure that urine is coming out. Male cats can get blocked and not be able to urinate and this is very, very, very serious. Here is a link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

Please let me know what I can focus more on Rose.
Hi Rose,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Liam. How is everything going?