Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat hospital and a Pet Skin and Ear Clinic
1348006

My dog had a what I think was an eye infection but now looks

My dog had a what I think was an eye infection but now looks like his eye is poked out but It isn't poked out. He still has an appitite and dosen't seem to be sick or in very much pain but won't let me get near him. I'v been slipping penicelyn into his food and now his eye is bleeding. Could that be the penicelyn working. What could of happened to his eye. At first I thought it was pink eye.

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

You should have this dog's eye checked by the veterinarian. Any time there is any blood found in the eyeball or around the whites of the eyes that can be serious. Sometimes there is trauma to the eye and sometimes there is glaucoma making the eye appear larger. Even an abscesses upper molar tooth can make the eyeball look larger.

Penicillin is really not a good antibiotic to use when trying to get something into the eye. Usually topical medication, like chloramphenicol will penetrate into the eyeball.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hopping for more information, its more than blood around his eye; his eye looks like it has a tomur or something . . . I would like more advice

Without an examination of the eye itself, it is hard to be very specific. As I said before both glaucoma and molar tooth abscesses can make the eye get large and bloody.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand, just fustrating, I'v made arrangments to take him to the vet. . . Thank you

I'll check back in a few days to see if you have any questions about your vet's opinion.