Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a 9yr old bull that has the scours. He is losing weight

I have a 9yr old bull that has the scours. He is losing weight and has a large lump in front of his left shoulder. I have gave him a shot of LA200 and wormed him. It has been 2 wks since the shots and I am seeing no improvement. Is there anything else I could try.
Hi there,
I'm very concerned about the nature of the lump in front of your bull's shoulder. The things you have tried are all good options, but I think since they have not shown improvement, it's time to have a vet examine him.

It is possible that he has an abscess or a hematoma in front of his shoulder. These sometimes require surgical drainage in order to heal. I don't recommend attempting to drain them yourself because a)the procedure is painful if not done properly, and b) you risk introducing new bacteria that could make the situation worse.

It is possible that the scours can be attributed to stress from being ill if he does have an abscess or a hematoma. If having the vet out and getting the lump addressed doesn't improve the situation, I'd suggest sending a fecal sample off to the lab to make sure that your dewormer did the job.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.