Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our chickens are loosing feathers. We feed them organic food.

Our chickens are loosing feathers. We feed them organic food. It is mainly in there butt area and under their wings We bought them looking fine from a place in Pa and we house them in NJ. HELP
The areas of feather loss suggest two main etiologies. The most likely is normal molting because this occurs mainly at this time of year. If you have a frisky rooster I need to also consider the possibility of treading. I wouldn't expect ectoparasites or a nutritional deficiency considering the history of their looking good upon recent(?) purchase, treatment with the powder and your feeding a high quality organic mix.

Please take a look at the images on this site and tell me if your chickens resemble the chicken imaged under the "molting section" and please let me know if I need to consider a frisky rooster:
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.