Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

have a year an half old bear hamster found her this afternoon

Customer Question

have a year an half old bear hamster found her this afternoon when we got home, breathing heavy, not moving. We thought maybe it was hibernation because the air conditioner on all day. We have been holding her in a warm towel close to my husband for about the last 45 min. Stlill no change. we also gave her some sugar water with a syringe.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Hamsters only hibernate in nature when the weather gets below about 10 degrees, so I'm quite concerned that she is ill. Because they are prey animals, they are very, very good at hiding their symptoms, and they tend to act very normal until they are very ill.

It sounds as if she may have a respiratory or other infection. The sooner she can get to a veterinarian and get antibiotics, the better her chances are. However, these little ones are so fragile and they hide their symptoms for so long that even with the best care they often do not survive.

At home, I recommend putting her in her cage in a warm, quiet room. Avoid handling her, as this is stressful for even a tame sick hamster, and stress can make it harder for her to recover. Have food and water available to her, but don't try to syringe her anything by mouth: there is a high risk that she will choke or breathe it in, causing pneumonia, and being force-fed also increases stress. She needs to rest and be in a quiet, stress-free area, and I really think she'd benefit from antibiotics.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.