petdrz
petdrz , Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

What is periocular erythema?

Periocular erythema refers to redness (erythema) around the eyes (peri-ocular). It ca be due to a variety of reasons. Dogs of her breed will often have epiphora or tearing issues where they have wetness and staining due to tears around their eyes. The chronic wetness can lead to skin irritation and erythema.

If is it not due to tears, another common cause of is allergies. Just like people with hay fever, dogs affected by environmentally triggered allergies can get redness around their eyes and often involving the conjunctiva as well with or without ocular discharge. These dogs will often respond to antihistamines and/or eye drops. When the tissue around the eye is chronically inflamed, it can develop secondary infections with yeast or bacteria or even be invaded by mange mites. These are things that can be tested for if the eye redness is not resolving or responding to medications.

Periocular erythema is something that we see fairly regularly in dogs and in most cases, responds to medical therapy fairly well. If it is something she is currently dealing with, especially if she is squinting or rubbing her eyes, I would have her seen by your veterinarian soon. 

Read full interaction below »

What is periocular erythema and how is it treated?

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would this condition affect her depth perception?

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 years ago.

I can't see where it would have an effect on her depth perception unless the condition of the skin around her eyes was severe enough that it was leading to inflammation if the eye itself as well. This would be unusual and would be severe enough to lead to visible changes in the appearance of the eye (cloudiness, redness, etc.).

petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.