Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

my guinea pig has lost weight and stopped eating and drinks

my guinea pig has lost weight and stopped eating and drinks water sometimes. he has a swollen bowl area and hasn't pooped and his eyes have been developing crust around them. what is wrong with him, and what can I do? without taking him to the vet. is he dyeing?
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Kingsley. You've described fecal impaction in guinea pigs. This usually occurs in older guinea pigs, especially boars. The etiology is unknown. Soiled bedding combined with inguinal sebaceous (oily) secretions can become adhered to the scrotum and anus, potentially resulting in inguinal gland infections and fecal impaction. The guinea pig is usually presented for straining to defecate, constipation, or passing large amounts of foul-smelling soft stool. Affected animals may appear to be uncomfortable when straining to push out the accumulated feces. Often the only physical exam abnormalities detected will be an enlarged rectum impacted with normal, soft feces and a flaccid anus.

Suggested therapy that you can do at home include manual evacuation of stools using a cotton-tipped applicator followed by warm water enemas and then a diet change to increase fiber (fresh greens, hay). Long-term therapy is often required. If you're uncomfortable performing enemas and manually evacuating Kingsley, it would be best that a vet attend to him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.