TheAnimalAdvocate
TheAnimalAdvocate, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Years of compassionately providing care for pets.
74972775

My cat was vomiting a viscous, yellow, odoriferous, liquid

My cat was vomiting a viscous, yellow, odoriferous, liquid that was quite like the fluid of an irritated bowel. He did this for 24 hours before I could get him to a vet. The vet gave him an injection to stop the vomiting and diagnosed him as having an obstructed bowel. They gave me two cans of a high fiber moist food and a oral suspension laxative 3 mL bid, lactulose.
I brought him home and for 24 hours he has been hiding. I can not administer the laxative: he will not allow me to hold him and open his mouth with a syringe in hand. He will not eat, drink, or come out of hiding.
Do I need to return him to the vet? Or will this too pass if I give him time?
He is a 3 year old neutered male Mau, 15 pounds, strictly inside cat with 3 other cats.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Michael is having gastrointestinal problems. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet take an xray?
2- Did the vet say the cause of the obstruction?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Mark, I am going offline. I am going to opt out so another expert can help you if you return and you are not waiting. Sorry.

Dr. Peter
Hi there Mark,

I am a licensed veterinarian and have a love for cats! I will try to answer your questions for you as I see Dr. Peter has gone offline.

It sounds like your veterinarian was concerned about severe constipation to the point of filling up and obstructing the colon. Please let me know if this is not the case!

I am concerned that Michael may not clear his colon well if he is hiding under the bed and not taking in food or fluids. When constipation gets to point of "obstructing" the colon, it may be necessary to provide the pet with a series of enemas or to sedate them (for comfort purposes) and manually or with enemas evacuate the colon. I would encourage you to visit your veterinarian again and assess any dehydration as a consequence to his hiding and discuss your options. Michael is clearly uncomfortable and if we cannot give him medications or feed him he likely needs more aggressive therapy.

There are several things that can cause severe constipation (or obstipation) in a cat. In order to decrease the risk of this recurring I would encourage you to consider diagnostics such as blood work and an x-ray, if they were not already performed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. It is always stressful to have a pet who is feeling ill. I hope to answer any questions you have and wish the very best for you and all of your cats!

Again, thank you for your question, please follow up with me if you need further help.

The Animal Advocate
Dr. H
Experience: Years of compassionately providing care for pets.