Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hello, I have a 9 yr Golden Retriever. She has some mats

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr Golden Retriever. She has some mats on her rear that have recently gotten a burr or 2. She will not lay down and paces constantly.

I would love to shave the mats off, however, she is very touchy about her rear.
I actually had to have a vet knock her out one time just to groom the area.

My question is this: Can I give her a Xanax or 2 and then shave her rear. I have given her just 1 before for fireworks per the vet. But I am betting 1 will not suffice. If this is not recommended what can do in home to get this done.

Trying to avoid going to vet again just for sedated grooming.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

While Xanax is commonly prescribed for anxiety and phobias in dogs, and is relatively safe,

Drew :

it is not a sedative,

Drew :

and will probably not help you to accomplish what you are describing.

Drew :

there are no over-the-counter sedatives available for this purpose, but some dogs may get a bit drowsy with Benadryl, 1mg per pound of body weight.

Drew :

Xanax, when dosed to dogs, would be dosed at roughly 0.5 to 1mg for a large dog.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If not recommended what can I do in home to get this done?

Billy

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Drew : Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
Drew : While Xanax is commonly prescribed for anxiety and phobias in dogs, and is relatively safe,
Drew : it is not a sedative,
Drew : and will probably not help you to accomplish what you are describing.
Drew : there are no over-the-counter sedatives available for this purpose, but some dogs may get a bit drowsy with Benadryl, 1mg per pound of body weight.
Drew : Xanax, when dosed to dogs, would be dosed at roughly 0.5 to 1mg for a large dog.