Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog a 10 year catahoula is panting quite a bit,seems to

my dog a 10 year catahoula is panting quite a bit,seems to feel great eats and poops great, doesnt act sick, maybe 10 lbs overweight do i need to be concerned
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How long has Chili been panting excessively?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

off and on for a few weeks its not all the time she will pant for a few minutes then lay her head down and no more panting or if she is interested in something no panting if i walk her she hardly pants. i dont know if she is just nervous or what

Hello again Sandy and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. The problem you face in a dog of ten years of age is that panting like this could well be the first sign of heart disease and this is not unusual in the dog. Of course other diagnosis is possible such as low grade infections, bronchitis and more.

2. What to do about it? : Well lets hope this is something very minor but to be on the safe side you should have your vet check her over without delay. In any case there would often be very little you could hope to do on a home remedy basis with symptoms like this.

3. You can reference this web site for further information on the topic : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Sandy,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Chili ... ,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much i am taking her to the vet on monday, i just knew something wasn't right, hope it isn't too bad thanks again sandy

Hello again Sandy,

Thanks so much for the update, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott