Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

what are the precautions and steps to caring for a dog with

what are the precautions and steps to caring for a dog with parvovirus in a veterinary clinic? Is there some way I could get information on:
isolation arrangements in clinic
equipment used for the patient
enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of patient and environment
disposal of waste.

I am really lost!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

First, I have a few links for you that should be incredibly helpful for understanding isolation protocols and handling patients that may be contagious:

AAHA Story about Contagious Websites

Isolation Procedures

Generally, most hospitals:
1. Try to assign only 1 staff member to be handling a contagious pet
2. All gloves, wipes, gowns that are soiled are thrown away in a trash can inside of the isolation room.
3. Usually, there is a large bucket with diluted bleach that a staff member must step in when entering and leaving the isolation room.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Here is some extra info from some hospitals I have dug up for you Nicole:
(some of the excerpts may be repetitive but thought I would just send you everything I could find. Best answer I can provide.

Outpatient
• Any pet presenting with signs of possible infectious disease are requested to stay outside the hospital until a room is available. Examples are pets with coughing, sneezing, vomiting, and diarrhea.
• The client and pet are escorted through the back hall of the hospital, avoiding the lobby and other pets and clients and directly into exam room 5.
• Gloves and gowns are worn when working with potentially infectious patients.
• Clients are invoiced in the exam room and given medications and discharge instructions.
• Once the client and pet have left, the exam room is disinfected with bleach (1:30 dilution) 3 times, 8 hours apart.
• All scales, stethoscopes, and supplies used are also disinfected.
• The floor is sprayed with bleach and mopped during each cleaning.
• The room is closed off to the same species for at least 24 hours.

Inpatient
• Any pets with infectious disease or possible infectious disease are hospitalized in the Isolation Ward.
• Pets in isolation are not taken out of isolation during their hospital stay.
• Team members must wear gowns and gloves when working with the patients.
• A diluted bleach footbath is kept outside the isolation door to be used upon exiting the isolation ward.
• Laundry and bowls are kept separate and disinfected separately from other bowls and laundry within the hospital. The trash is also kept separate.
• Upon discharge from the hospital, the entire ward is stocked and disinfected. The ward is disinfected every 8 hours with bleach (1:30 dilution) 3 times.
• A separate mop is used.

Also:
3. Isolation room procedures:
a. Only authorized employees (doctors, attending veterinary assistants) are to enter into the isolation room when a pet is present in it. In order to enter the room, the individuals must don a disposable protective gown, gloves, mask, cap, and shoe covers. Care must be worn short or tight up close to the head. Foot bath: A bactericidal foot bath will be placed just inside the isolation area doorway. All practice members must dip soles of shoes immediately prior to departing the area and step onto a towel provided.
b. Ideally, only one technician will be assigned to the contagious pet. If the technician has other duties to perform during the day that require interaction with other pets, they will ensure that the clothing is clean and free of contamination from the isolation room before handling another pet.
c. Employees will change scrubs if any bodily fluid contaminates their clothing.
d. The isolation room will contain its own set of physical examination equipment - stethoscope, thermometer, ophthalmoscope, otoscope with cones, and a box of gloves. This equipment will remain in the isolation room at all times, and cleaned with Parvosol as directed below when use is complete. The patient’s cage and the isolation door will indicate to all team member’s the patient’s status.
e. All bodily fluids will be disposed of immediately in the isolation room trashcan. At the end of the day, any trash from the isolation room will be securely closed and disposed of in the outside dumpster. All potentially contaminated materials will always be kept within impervious trashbags when being transported.
f. It may become necessary to bring a possibly contagious pet outside to urinate or defecate. If this is the case, gloves will be worn, the disposal bag will be used to clean up the application immediately, and Parvosol will be sprayed on the area that had relieved itself on. Timing of taking out will be such that a possibly contagious pet will be the last pet to go out (i.e. all boarders will be taken out first).
g. After leaving the isolation room, all protective gear is to remain in isolation room and disposed of at the end of the day.

4. Decontamination procedures (of isolation and any area or equipment the pet has contacted) will be carried out by any trained staff (kennel assistants, veterinary assistants, receptionists, doctors).
a. All surfaces and equipment will be decontaminated using Parvosol.
b. Spray correctly diluted Parvosol on all affected services.
c. Parvosol will have a 10-minute contact time according to manufacturer.
d. After any decontamination procedure, the person doing the decontamination will effectively perform a 20 second hand wash.
5. Use of an examination room that contained a potentially contagious pet will resume after a 24-hour period. A sign will remain on both doors to the examination room alerting staff and clients of this waiting period.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great Thanks again

Every thing you have provided me will help alot

Thank you Dr Andy

Regards

Nicole

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Nicole.
Good Luck