Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

my golen mix has a previous occurance of "hot spot". He now

my golen mix has a previous occurance of "hot spot". He now has a smal spot about the size of a dime developimg. Can i treat this at home or is a visit to the vet needed?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is he itching at the new hot spot that you are seeing?

Does the new spot seem moist or have any discharge coming from it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is on the upper part of his hip so he is chewing it. it is moist but no discharge yet

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that he is developing another hot spot on his hip. Some hot spots can be treated at home though if the sore becomes very moist and he will not stop chewing at it then he will most likely need to be taken to the vet to get an antibiotic and a prescription medication such as prednisone to relieve the inflammation and itchiness.

Since the hot spot is small though here are some suggestions to try at home first. You can use an antihistamine to reduce the itchiness. Over the counter you can try Benadryl or diphenhydramine. This antihistamine typically comes in 25 mg tablets. The dose is one mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. This is a very safe dose that rarely causing any side effects - if any he may get slightly drowsy. If the Benadryl does not help you may have to talk to your vet about a different prescription for a better antihistamine.

I would also clip the hair away from the sore area and clean the sore with an antibacterial hand soap. After clipping and washing the hot spot, I would apply a 1% hydrocortisone ointment directly to the area. Apply this every 8 hours for 7-10 days. If he will not leave the area alone you may even need to use an E-collar or cone to keep him from licking at the sore.

If the sore does seem to get quite red and inflamed and he seems very uncomfortable though, he really should be taken to a vet as an oral antibiotic is necessary to clear out the infection.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets