Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has all of a sudden started hissing and spitting at

My cat has all of a sudden started hissing and spitting at a cat she has grown up with she is eating and drinking but she wont come out of her hiding spot unless we take her out im not sure if this is some thing serious or not shes been acting like this for about a week shes not wining and she seems herself around me the only tjing else I noticed is she has licked all the hair off her belly
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. Have there been any changes such as the other cat having gone to the vet recently or been washed or any other recent changes in the other cat's life?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No nothing has changed we have two dogs but she alwayshisses at them and she has grown up with the other cat iI though maybe he was bothering her but hhe's not

Hello again Wendy and thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry to hear about your problem with Cleo, but I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

The answer to this one is easy, my clients have told me this type of story on many an occasion. You see cats do not only recognise each other by sight alone but use their other senses as well such as their sense of smell. Where we typically see this sort of episode is when one cat has come back into the household after a day at the vets and is smelling of the vet's surgery. It is then not uncommon for another cat in the household to then recognise the cat as a foreigner to the household, a stranger her territory, and acts accordingly. Even though she knew the other cat for ten years or more and they were friends.

Now of course I know that your other cat has not been to the vet but there must have been some subtle change, perhaps something very minor to make Cleo act the way she is doing.

2. Now what can you do about it? :

A. Well, in my experience given a couple of weeks this almost always slowly return to normal as the cats get used to each other in much the same manner as what happens when you introduce a new adult cat to a household where there are already cats. It just takes time ...

B. What I have found very useful though where cats are behaving like this is a Feliway Diffuser, you should be able to pick one up from your vet. This puts cats pheromones into your cat's environment and this really calms them down where territorial anxiety is a problem.

3. You can reference this website for more information on the topic : LINK

4. The hair loss on the stomach is a common result of stress but other diagnosis are possible so if the problem persists after the cats have calmed down { As they eventually will } then get your vet involved.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I've had many cats but this was a new problem I've not encountered before your answer was very helpful

Hello again Wendy,

No problem, glad to have advised you ...

I am very much a cat person myself, I have six of them, but they are strange creatures sometimes!

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Wendy,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Cleo is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok they still r not getting along right now im doing what we do when we get a new cat put one in a room and let them get to know each other through the door right now when he goes to the door she still hisses at him but other then that time she is a happy camper

Thanks so much for the update Wendy, hang on in there, things will improve ...

Regards,

Scott