Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has two large areas of exposed tissue on her back we

My dog has two large areas of exposed tissue on her back we think it couold be from the result of a sprider bite. What is the morbidity for this
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Princess is having skin problems to a possible bite spider. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know the type of spider that could have bit her?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Can you describe the appearance of the tissue?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Is she licking or gnawing at the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a nurse and from the initial look it resembles a brown recluse bite. We just moved houses and the exposed area began to show through yesterday and now are considerably larger. She weighs around 50 lbs and is not scratching the area. The area is pink with no drainage. It looks like it has gone through the fur to expose the tissues underneath.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Denice, most brown recluse bites only cause localized necrosis to the tissues. It is important to remember that there are other causes that can also resemble a similar lesion like trauma or infections. I would have your family veterinarian examine her in the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the lesion, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 2 tablets every 12 hours for 5-7 days.

5- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your excellent rating.

Dr. Peter