petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My cats teeth

My cats teeth
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jackie today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Are Jackie's canine teeth protruding more than they have in the past?

Does he have any redness of the gums?

Are the teeth mobile at all (if you can tell)?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a short delay as I formulate and type my reply.

Dr Z
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are longer than a year ago. He is being treated for gum infection but the vet said nothing about his long teeth. they are solid but curved like a sabertooth. He drools and food is left around his mouth, I clean him after he eats

Thank you for the reply.

What it sounds like you are describing is a condition referred to as super-eruption. This is a condition where the teeth (usually the canine teeth are pushed further out of the jaw. If there is no other pathology noted, it is not reason to be concerned or intervene. When this occurs however, it is often accompanied by pathology such as periodontitis (inflammed gums), periodontal pockets between the tooth and gum (which can collect plaque and bacteria) and bone loss. In order to best evaluate it, dental xrays are needed.

If there is treatable periodontal (gum) disease, it can often be resolved or at least controlled with a thorough dental cleaning (under anesthesia) and aggressive dental home care which includes frequent brushing of the teeth. The area of the super-erupted tooth that is at the gumline is particularly prone to collection of plaque and tarter as it usually does not have the smooth surface of enamel commonly found on the lower part of the crown. If the elongated crown is leading to drooling and food accumulation, facial hygiene, as you have been doing will continue to be necessary. If the teeth are otherwise stable, they do not need to be extracted, but if they are causing skin lesions because of the chronic salivation, it may be something to consider in the future.

I hope that helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated. Good luck with Jackie and I hope that things go well for him.