Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

My sister and I were trying to trim my rabbits nails since

My sister and I were trying to trim my rabbit's nails since they were getting very long. We think we may have cut a slight slit through his wick one one of them. we didn't cut it off completely, it looks like it just "scratched" his nail and my rabbit jumped which is why we stopped. Is there a chance we damaged the wick already and his nail won't grow back?

Hello, it appears the vet you have requested is not currently available. But I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While nipping the quick with the nail clippers will surely be a wee bit sore (since this is their equivalent to the nerve rich nail bed we have under our nails) for him and can bleed (since it is also blood vessel rich), clipping into this tissue will not cause lasting damage to the nail.

If you have seen blood with this damage, you can use silver nitrate (available at pet stores --example), cornflour or even flour to aid the clotting of the 'wound'. If there has been no blood from the site, then it is likely the damage is minor and should just heal in time with no lasting damage to the nail. In either case, the nail tends to grow back without any issue (even in cases where the whole nail is lost).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. B,

Thank you for your helpful information. I was beginning to get a little restless thinking I did permanent damage. I also have another question, my little is a long hair rabbit (half Jersey Wooly) and I noticed the fur near his tail clumps and mattes together very easily. I've been trimming the tops of the matte, since I'm scared I will nip his tailbone. Any suggestions? Thank you!

You are very welcome.

Sometimes we do see hair matting in this region if the rabbit is unable to reach and therefore manage this portion of coat properly. In these cases, it is up to us to provide aid in keeping this area untangled with routine brushing.

Now in regards to the matts, clipping is a straight forward way to remove them but I agree that it can be frighteningly easy to clip a rabbit's thin skin when trying to remove a matt. Therefore, if he does have matts or clumps, you can gently rub some baby powder (talc free) into the hair. The body will lubricate the fur and makes it easier to untangle. This must be done on dry fur, as wet fur will just make a caked mess. So it is a case of working it in and then brushing it all out. And once it is removed, you be in a better position to keep this area of the coat from retanlging.

All the best,
Dr. B.