Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

I have removed several warbles from my pet rabbit....how should

Customer Question

I have removed several warbles from my pet rabbit....how should I treat the warble holes that remain?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for asking about BunBun. I am sorry to hear about the warbles.

Rebeccavet :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

You really do not have to do anything. Once you have removed the entire larva, the holes will heal and close. I know these warbles can be quite large, but the holes they leave heal well on their own.

Rebeccavet :

You can clean the area, and maybe apply a little Neosporin, but you do not really have to do anything.

Customer :

Ok, thank you. I just wanted to make sure that we were doing the right thing.

Rebeccavet :

Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Rebeccavet :

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with?

Rebeccavet :

Just saw you are in PA. Where do you live?

Rebeccavet :

I will check back to see how she is doing.

Customer :

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again. She lives outside and is loose most of the time. Rome, PA just ahalf hour south of the new York line.

Rebeccavet :

I used to live in Gettysburg, half an hour north of the Maryland line.

Rebeccavet :

Keeping her indoors is the best way to keep her from the flies that lay the eggs that hatch into these parasites.

Customer :

Ok, thank you again!

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome!

Rebeccavet :

Wait a moment; doing some research for you.

Rebeccavet :

I checked on a vets only website to see if they had any suggestions for prevention.

Customer :

Ok.

Rebeccavet :

Fine mesh netting over the hutch may help, but that is all I could find.

Rebeccavet :

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Customer :

Ok I guess we better rethink where we house her...thanks again!!

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome!

Rebeccavet :

I will check back to see how BunBun is doing.

Rebeccavet :

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Customer :

Thank you! I would appreciate that.

Rebeccavet :

I will indeed.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer today.