Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.

Seeking information and advice regarding using a modified version Of

Customer Question

Seeking information and advice regarding using a modified version
Of a small tagging device used for sheep and goat for a social enterprise business that will support better visible identification of cats and dogs.
The device uses an industrial sterile applicator and self piercing 2 piece product: tip is sterile
Type piercing metal and other, durable plastic with I'd numbers.
Can advise??
Lillie XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your questions. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I understand you are talking about some kind of tagging device for dogs and cats. What is your question, that I might be able to help with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Dr. Rebecca,

I am conduction research and looking to modify or use and existing device to perhaps pierce domestic animals with tags currently used for sheep and goats. One Vet said that as long as it is sterile and precautions are taken to prevent infection that using a similar tag for a dog or cat is okay. I wanted to get another opinion and also, I am looking in to the legalities surrounding piercing animals. Is there any reason why a 1" diameter, .20 inch (male piercing part) could not be used effectively for domestic animals. One person's opinion was that the animal would just scratch it too much. Your comments? Thanks!

Lillie, XXX-XXX-XXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Dr. Rebecca,

I am conduction research and looking to modify or use and existing device to perhaps pierce domestic animals with tags currently used for sheep and goats. One Vet said that as long as it is sterile and precautions are taken to prevent infection that using a similar tag for a dog or cat is okay. I wanted to get another opinion and also, I am looking in to the legalities surrounding piercing animals. Is there any reason why a 1" diameter, .20 inch (male piercing part) could not be used effectively for domestic animals. One person's opinion was that the animal would just scratch it too much. Your comments?

Lillie, XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Lillie,
This sounds interesting.

I would not be able to help with any legal advice since I am a veterinarian. I can refer you to a legal expert on this website.

Where on the body would the piercing be done? On an animal as small as a cat, I can't imagine where a tag that big would be comfortable or safe. I doubt that a cat owner, or small dog owners would want a one inch tag permanently attached to their pet.

When you say .2 inch male piercing part, it that the size of the hole that would hold this tag? If you plan on putting a hole nearly 1/4" on a dog or cat, I assume you would be anesthetizing the animal to place the tag. I do not think it would be humane to do otherwise.

I can tell you I would not put a tag this big on my own pets, since microchipping is available and most veterinary hospitals and shelters have universal scanners. I think I would have trouble recommending it to my clients for their pets. A tag that big could get caught, and tear out, leaving a wound.

It would be helpful to know where on the body you are attaching this tag.

Let me know if you want legal advice, and I can transfer this question to a legal expert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for you reply. I am trying to get the device manufactured smaller. However, just because an animal is chipped doesn't mean that you will automatically get them back soon. Unless they are sick or need attention for some reason, many owners do not take animals to get scanned to see if they are chipped - fact.!

The hole in the ear, may also be handled by a device that reduces snags, tears, etc. even in animals out side and in the wild.

Thanks for your answer.

Lillie

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Absolutely, I agree. Many times the chip is not updated by the owner if their address or phone number changes, and you can't trace them; some finders chose to ignore the chip if they like the dog or cat and want to keep it. I worked at a shelter, and it was so frustrating when strays came in with chips, and it still did not help us find the owner.

How would your ID tag handle address changes, etc.?

Would the tag hold a number, that a finder would have to call to get the owner's info or would the owner's information be on the tag itself? If the latter, and the owner got a new phone number or moved, how would you change the tag?

If the former, would you look it up online, or by calling someone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I found a much smaller device that is used for bunnies.

Our mission is to create a humane device that is safe, visiable and not easily removed and one that will not harm the animal - first do not harm! What would you think of a low to no snag free device about the size of a nickel for dogs and cats. Self-piercing surgical steel treated with an anti-inflammatory, abou the same sting has having a baby's ear or rabbit ear pierced? Comments.

Lillie

We are working on the issues you raised.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
LIllie,
Thank you for the additional information.

I think something the size of a nickel in the ear would be annoying to cats, and hard to sell to owners. Just my personal opinion, but I would not want something that big in my cat's ear permanently. The weight of it could even fold the cat's ear down. I am holding a nickel up to my dog and my cats' ears and it would be hard to sell me on doing this. Again, just personal opinion. You should probably ask more than one veterinarian what they think.

As far as the piercing, I have been asked by cat owners to pierce their cats' ears so the owner could put jewelry/earrings on the cat and have declined it as being inhumane.

If I had to pierce a cat's ear for some medical reason, I would not do it to them awake; the ear is so sensitive. Different areas of the body have more or less nerve endings. The scruff of the neck is relatively insensitive, so giving injections there seems not to hurt most of the time. The ear is full of nerve endings, and the most cats and dogs would react.

It would be hard for a cat to groom under the tag so the owner may have to clean the area periodically. Some cats and dogs ( again, ears being so sensitive) do not allow this. I see many dogs that will let me handle and examine them, but not certain areas of the body like their mouths, toes and ears.

I certainly wish you well on your endeavor and admire your being an entrepreneur. But I do want to give my honest opinion, and as a veterinarian, I would find it hard to sell this to an owner and as a former shelter veterinarian, think animals with tags might be harder to get adopted.

Please let me know what else I can help with.