Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Our 13 year old Bicon Frise gets an arched back and his back

Our 13 year old Bicon Frise gets an arched back and his back legs don't work properly. He has been under vet care since this spring for this ailment. He has had x-rays, ultra sound, blood and urine testing on a few occasions. His health is good from the tests except for an enlarged liver and high enzymes. He humps up usually once a day and misses the odd day. Sometimes stress seems to bring it on. We are thinking of inquiring about Lyme disease or to ask more questions about it being neurological. We are stumped and so is our vet- any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're dealing with a neurologic issue. The most likely would be a disc herniation in the back. These are very common in small breed dogs leading to pain and hind limb weakness. The other possible causes would be: meningitis, cyst pressing on the spinal cord, cancer pressing on the spinal cord, stroke to the spinal cord.

The only way to know for sure what you're dealing with is to get an MRI of the back. If it's a disc, it may need to be removed. If it's a cyst, it could be removed. If it's a tumor, then radiation or chemo may be the best option.

If it's a mild compression, he may just need continued supportive care and time. I usually give these dogs 2-4 weeks with pain meds and rest before I refer for an MRI.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.