Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have a dog that has potential sarcoptic or demodectic mange.

I have a dog that has potential sarcoptic or demodectic mange. The veterinarian was unable to confirm with skin scrapings, but has prescribed Ivomec oral injections for treatment. I am concerned because my dog is a mixed breed, but is part border collie. Looking online, I noticed that Ivermectin can be poisonous to this type of breed. I was told to watch her closely after treatment, but I am nervous about it. She is 35 pounds and in the syringe (ml/cc) she has a 0.5 dose. I am considering giving her just half and watching her for a couple hours, then administering the rest. I can only do this when I am available to watch her (not during normal vet. hosp. hours), so if something goes wrong the nearest 24 emergency vet hosp. is 40 minutes away. She has also been prescriped Prednisone pills and has been taking those twice a day for 3 days now. There has been some improvement, but she is still itching. Should I go ahead and administer the Ivomec?

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Itching is not a typical feature of demodectic mange, so it is unlikely that this is the cause of the problem.

Drew :

if no mites are found, demodectic mange is even less likely, as true cases of demodectic mange feature many mites on skin scrapings.

Drew :

sarcoptic mange is highly itchy,

Drew :

and can affect other dogs and people,

Drew :

and is not typically very responsive to prednisone.

Drew :

As to the ivermectin issue --

Drew :

I will do some calculations and return in a moment.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wait for your answer.

Drew :

0.5mL, for a 35 pound dog, works out to around 30-35 micrograms per kilogram of body weight,

Drew :

which is still a rather low dose, all things considered,

Drew :

and typically would not be likely to cause problems in most dogs, even if carrying the MDR gene which makes a dog more susceptible to the side effects of ivermectin.

Drew :

50 micrograms per kilogram has been reported to be tolerated in dogs with this defective gene.

Drew :

if you prefer, you can start at the half dose,

Drew :

but I do not expect problems at the full 0.5mL dose.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. This does make me more comfortable with giving her the medicine knowing that it is a low enough dose that she should not be adversely affected, even if she has the defective gene. I think I will still start at the half-dose if it will not affect the efficacy of the treatment. I'm just a bit of a worry-wart I guess.

Drew :

glad to help -- best wishes to both of you :)

Customer:

Thank you.