Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 13 year old choc. lab....she seems to want to pee

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old choc. lab....she seems to want to pee every few mins. but not much is coming out. I just put a Kleenex to whip her and I think it is slightly pink. What is wrong with her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn is having problems urinating. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This started yesterday late afternoon. I took her out and she almost ran to the grass to pee. Had her out a few more times and lastly at 10:15pm. I heard her at 4am and got up and took her out, She peed a couple times. Yes, she is spayed.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Laurie, the history and symptoms you are describing about Samantha are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian to rule out bladder stones and start her on oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is Sunday.....is this an emergency or can I wait until tomorrow and call my vet then?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
This is Not an emergency. It can wait to be seen tomorrow by your family veterinarian. For today, keep plenty of water for her, this will help flush her bladder. If possible offer her low sodium chicken broth to get her to drink more.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your excellent rating.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laurie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Samantha. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking. She did in fact have a urinary track infection. I took her 1st pee to my vet yesterday morning and an hour later I was heading home with an antibiotic for her. 14 days with a recheck on the 10th. Thanks you so much for putting my mind at ease.

Laurie

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Excellent Laurie, she must be feeling much better on the antibiotics. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter