Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

Our 18 year old sapyed female Malti-Poo stopped eating and

Customer Question

Our 18 year old sapyed female Malti-Poo stopped eating and drinking water. Took to her vet two days ago & he gave her injection antibiotics and said return 1 week. She is worse, having not consumed any liquid about 36 hours. Her gums are blood red, which explains wore mouth not wanting to lick, swallow, I guess. She has had to have dental surgery and removal of teeth in the past. Just gave her beef broth about 10 ccs and then later Pedialyte, about 20ccs by syringe directly into her mouth and she did swallow well. She just urinated. Back is humped, which is common but it is now worse than usual. No vet available until Monday, about 36 hours away. Best way to reduce her pain for now and get and keep her hydrated until Monday? Have on hand dog multi vitamin and glucosamine could shake into Pedialyte if that is appropriate. Know she is old, but heart is strong and she has been active and in good health until about 4 days ago. Six mos ago weighed 7.11 lbs, with 7-8 lbs usual weight. Now 5.11 lbs.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Sharon and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Daisy's condition ...

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

" Best way to reduce her pain for now and get and keep her hydrated until Monday?" :

A. Well the easiest part of your question to answer is the dehydration issue. If you were to give her an ion balanced fluid such as Pedialyte orally on the hour { Say 10 ml at a time } then that would be excellent. Use a syringe or similar device and dribble it into her mouth. This should reduce any risk of dehydration and give her some energy to keep going. This is a fairly normal approach.

B. As for pain relief, your only real option as far as this goes in terms of over the counter meds would be aspirin. On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs.

A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Sharon,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Daisy ... ,

Scott
Hello again Sharon,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Daisy is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott