Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 7 year old female Shih Tzu had bladder surgery for stones

My 7 year old female Shih Tzu had bladder surgery for stones last Monday. She is urinating on everything as of today, Saturday. Is this normal? I called the vet Thursday evening and he said to wait for another week before she is looked at again. What is your recommendation?

Thanks! Marsha
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Lucy.

I do agree that more time is needed before determining if there is a problem or not.

To me, it sounds like there is quite a bit of cystitis likely present (inflammation) in the bladder and that is likely contributing to these symptoms you are seeing.

So, waiting the week is fine, but I would absolutely request some additional antibiotics AND a good non-steroidal anti-inflammatory to ensure no infection issues and to address inflammation.

Definitely, I think some additional medication is necessary. I'm assuming she was on some antibiotics for at least a few days after surgery. If not, definitely, start antibiotics now.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much! I will follow your advice. Have a great evening.

You are very welcome Marsha.
Sorry to hear about the complications.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Andy,

I reviewed your answer and replied to you the very minute I received it. I was so satisfied with the answer, I am calling my vet today with your recommendations. THANKS SO MUCH,

You are welcome Marsha I hope everything works out okay. Good Luck!

Click my link and bookmark it, so you can return for future questions when needed. Click my link and bookmark it, so you can return for future questions when needed.