Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I had a 2 yr old pug he wasnt keeping well since last four

I had a 2 yr old pug he wasn't keeping well since last four to five days he had stopped eating and drinking he couldn't walk the back side of his body was shivering he was not responding n was wanting to be left alone he just passed away today but i really wanted to know the cause
Submitted: 1 year ago via PetWave.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that we have a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear that your dog passed away. How sad to lose a pet so young!

Without an exam, it's hard to say what caused your dog to pass. It sounds as though he was ill for a few days, and in a young dog, I always wonder if he could have ingested something toxic (rodent poison, etc) or something inedible (like part of a toy) that was too big to pass through his GI tract that caused his stomach or intestines to perforate and infection to spread. These would be things I would consider most likely in a young dog.

To know for certain what happened, I'd suggest having a veterinarian do a necropsy (equal to a human autopsy) on your dog. The veterinarian may be able to find the reason for his death. I would caution you, though, to do this right away-- tomorrow at the very latest-- because once body tissues begin to break down it can be hard to get any results at all.

I would like to let you know that in my experience, foul play is extremely rare, and you should not blame yourself. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope this is helpful, and don't hesitate to let me know if I can help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got his blood tests done there was no poison or ne sort of infection in his body he had very mild bacterial infection n the vet said that couldn't be the cause his body temperature was also between 101-102 ..

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
There are many toxins that can't be detected on blood tests (especially after death, you would have to submit samples of the liver or other organs for analysis). I have also seen septicemic animals with overwhelming bacterial infections that have not had increased body temperatures. It's tough to rule out any sort of bacterial infection without looking under the microscope. However, if your vet has examined your dog, they are going to be able to make a much better analysis of your dog's specific case than I can based on only a description.

I'm sorry that, so far at least, there don't appear to be many firm answers in your dog's case. That can be difficult. I wish I had better answers for you, and I hope you and your vet are able to do a necropsy or track down what happened so you can find closure. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.