Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My recently adopted chinchilla (either him or his feces, cant

My recently adopted chinchilla (either him or his feces, can't tell) have been giving off a faint but distinct odor that can be smelled when entering my apartment. It fades quickly, and his feces do not smell very bad upon close inspection, but since this is my first chinchilla I am unsure if this is a smell I should worry about or if it is typical?
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I believe you're referring to the odor similar to scorched almonds that arises from the secretions from glands inside the anus. Although chinchillas are virtually odorless, one author has reported that frightened animals produce these secretions. It shouldn't be considered a symptom of illness but you might ponder why your chinchilla may be becoming frightened in your absence.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.