Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is 15 years and 3 months (Labrador Retriever); Last

Customer Question

My dog is 15 years and 3 months (Labrador Retriever); Last night, suddenly, he started to have bad cough and vomitted. It took a while for him to vomit. He gagged several times then vomitted white muscous foam and the third time, he vomitted all his dinner (around 3 am). He is calm now with some coughs intermittently. He had this similar episode (worse than this) three days ago. His bloodwork is normal. His on Lasix, Enacard, Rimadyl, and Simplecef (100 mg). He had internal infection which resulted a ruptured on his edema on this right hind. He was put on Kefflex for 3 weeks for this problem; and then the Simplecef three days ago.
Everything was okay last night until I gave him Simplecef (the second day); and hour later he started to have such episodes described above.

I'm trying to avoid trip to emergency and my regular vet will be in office on Monday. Any advise on what might happen to my dog? I want to have pictures on what to expect should I see my vet on Monday or worse case, an emergency vet. He eats HS Diet i/d for gastritis. He eats and drink normal, but lethargic from lack of sleep and vomitted several times. Thanks for your help.

Christine
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Chewy's episodes. This must be frightening for you and for him.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did Chewy eat anything different prior to the most recent episode?

Has he been coughing more lately?

Does Chewy appear depressed recently?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chewy ate four small meals a day since he is unable to eat large meals. He ate Hill's Science Diet and his last small meal was 10:30 PM. He has not eaten anything differently.

He has been coughing on and off for months, but for the past week, he has been coughing alot at night and has vomitting episodes. We had a complete bloodwork doen at the vet 3 days ago and everything came out well - Kidney an Liver was good, and stool and urine sample was fine. The vet listened to the heart and it was normal also. His white blood cell count is also higher.

So he is coughing more at night only. He does not cough in the daytime - it looks like there is saliva/mucus buildup in his mouth at night - then he would start to vomit.

Yes, Chewy appears more depressed after his edema ruptured (it is fully healed now).

Thanks!

Thank you Christine for the very good history...

My fear for Chewy is that he is suffering from Congestive Heart Failure that is now not regulated. The coughing with the vomiting, since the kidney function is normal, tells me that there is more fluid building up in his lung fields as well as possibly pneumonia. This will not show up on any blood work and an Echocardiogram may tell your vet if the doses of medication need to be changed. If your vet can decrease the fluid build up in the lung fields, the coughing could decrease.

I would urge you at this point, Christine, to consult a veterinary Cardiologist. If the correct medications and doses are given, this may relieve some of Chewy's symptoms. Unfortunately, Christine, there does come a point that Chewy's heart may not be able to function well....this the Cardiologist could tell you.

This LINK can help you find one near you.

Does that make sense to you, Christine?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Christine for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Chewy's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I know you are very worried about him...I hope he does well...I will check in with you in a few days...

Have a great day!!

Good morning, Christine. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Chewy. Is he doing any better? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Loretta,

Chewy has been doing well since I last contacted you (8/10) As soon as you've pointed out that he might have a CHF, I started to do research about it. I've been suspecting that also; but my vet never brought it up even when I described the exact symptoms that I mentioned to you.

Anyway, I did not give Chewy his complete prescription of meds; only Lasix (twice a day), Rimady, and pepcid. He did not vomit at all (till today, and it has been five days). I've realized that when he started to have upset stomach, he began to vomit for hours. The gagging, chocking, muscles spasm, drooling, and turned out to be symptoms of seizures. I've watched videos posted on You Tube about seizures in dogs; and what Chewy was having are exactly like the ones described in those videos.

I contacted my vet on Monday (8/12) he wanted to change the dog's prescriptions of the medicine and introduce new ones. I've decided not to follow his advice, because I believe that having too much medications can give him stomach upset that always lead to vomit and seizures. I just make sure that Chewy goes out to pee often (especially before bedtime) since he takes lots of liquid (and Lasix) during the day. I also notice that his coughs much less during at night.

I don't think seeing a cardiologist would enhance Chewy's life and perhaps he or she would add more medicines. However, I will have my first appointment with a holistic vet tomorrow who also does acupunture. My primary concern is to make Chewy comfortable while managing his CHF to the best I can and as long as Chewy is still have good quality of life. Overall, he still eats, walks, and barks, except with much slower pace. Thanks you.

That is great, Christine. It sounds like you have been working with Chewy and he is doing well. I am also glad that you are seeing a hOlistic vet and thinking of acupuncture. Your greatest concern for Chewy is to keep him comfortable and it seems that that is exactly what you are doing. Sometimes, the side effects of so many medications does not help them...

Keep up the good work, Christine...Thanks you so much for taking the time to update me on Chewy's progress.