Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Some months ago I adopted a kitten who is nearly one year old. As I live in a retirement village he is not allowed to roam outside at all. I have had a cat flap in the window installed and a cat tower. So he can come and go as he pleases. I would like to know if this is sufficient for a cat or should I be taking him for walks in a harness. This is what I did before the installation. I would prefer not to but will do so if you think it is essential. If so how often ? Many thanks Maureen Hoyland

Hi there,
It's great to see that you are so concerned about your cat's happiness. The cat tower and flap are more than sufficient-- just be careful that he doesn't fall if he goes out the window flap and you are above the ground floor. Taking him out on a harness is purely optional, so don't feel bad if you don't want to or don't have time. Any cat that has spent some time outside as a stray may try to go out the door when it is opened, but he is probably just being curious and can be a perfectly content cat confined to the indoors.
Hi Maureen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very good thank you

You are quite welcome!