How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29956
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog (18 pounds) just ate a small amount of rodent poison.

This answer was rated:

my dog (18 pounds) just ate a small amount of rodent poison. What should we do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dandelion.

In this type of situation, where we are not certain of how much, I always recommend inducing vomiting. Especially, if it was ingested in the past 10 minutes or so, because inducing vomiting can be highly effective of taking away a lot of risk. If ingested over 1 hour ago, that changes my answer.

To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

Now, if you are referring just about a lick or two, that likely would not cause any harm regardless of whether this is a vitamin K antagonist rodenticide or the type that causes seizures.

But, a small amount can be significant for 18 pound dog.
Worth inducing vomiting in my opinion to be safe.

If you have no peroxide at home, then let me know, as we will need to discuss further exactly how much was ingested, to determine if you need to rush to a ER vet or not.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This just happened . . . we are taking her to ER to induce vomiting. She ingested a small amount of the poison. . .bromephaline . . .but we are still choosing to err on the side of caution and get this out of her ASAP. Thank you for your quick response!

You bet Barbara.
Good decision, even if a small amount.

Make sure to ask the please give something to help settle the stomach after inducing vomiting.

If they see a certain amount of poison come out in the vomit, they may also suggest giving some activated charcoal liquid to help bind up anything left in the body.

Good LUck
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dandelion. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy

Related Veterinary Questions