Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have come across a young rabbit who has had his back skin

I have come across a young rabbit who has had his back skin and hair torn away. No open wounds or blood letting, just skin and hair removed, what can I do to help it to live?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Pet Doc :

Hi there

Pet Doc :

Thanks for your question regarding this young rabbit

Pet Doc :

Where abouts did you find this little one?

Pet Doc :

Can you see pink flesh beneath where his skin is missing?

Pet Doc :

Are there areas of crusting on the other parts of his skin?#

Customer:

I have a friend who rescues animals, she has many and asked me to take it home to care for it.

Customer:

yes, pink skin, no bleeding, fresh wound

Customer:

i am a nurse

Pet Doc :

Does it look like a skin defect that could/should be stitched, or is is more superficial than that?

Customer:

my friend tried to stitch it but it just fell away, at home, it came all away, no skin/hair to re-attach

Pet Doc :

Ok - that does sound quite bad! Hopefully this little one is eating and drinking as per normal

Customer:

it is drinking water, i am trying to treat it like a burn, but I can't keep a dressing on it, a wild animal, you know

Pet Doc :

Make sure he has plenty of palatable hay available

Pet Doc :

No - you aren't going to be able to get a dressing on that

Pet Doc :

Ideally this little guy needs Veterinary treatment and a good and long course of an appropriate antibiotic

Pet Doc :

There is a real worry this wound will quickly become infected

Pet Doc :

And definitely if he is outside - it will likely quickly become 'fly blown'

Customer:

hay or grass?, it was in shock at first but when I went to give it water, it went crazy

Customer:

not outside, flushing with abx water

Pet Doc :

If for some reason you can't get him seen by your local Vet right now, then you need to use an appropriate wound spray

Pet Doc :

http://www.jefferspet.com/vetericyn-wound-spray/camid/liv/cp/0035282/ - Vetericyn is quite good for this

Pet Doc :

you can read more about this online here: http://vetericyn.com/benefits/exotics.php

Pet Doc :

Continuing to gently clean the area with warm salty water may also help

Pet Doc :

(a teaspoon of salt per cup of warm water)

Pet Doc :

This can help to dry out the wound a little

Pet Doc :

Cleaning with salty water, dabbing dry gently and then spraying with Vetericyn will help

Customer:

name?, I have aggrenox will that work?

Pet Doc :

However - there is still a high chance this wound will become badly infected

Customer:

Doctor, there is no wound open, just skin removed

Pet Doc :

SO - for the best chance of this bunny doing well, a Veterinary physical exam and appropriate oral antibiotics will be necessary

Pet Doc :

If there is something that needed to be stitched - then that sound a lot like a large skin defect - or wound

Pet Doc :

the Vetericyn spray is definitely a good idea here

Customer:

Well, I will see about a vet tomorrow, but what if he says "no go"

Pet Doc :

But it definitely sounds like a course of oral antibiotics are likely to be necessary here as well

Customer:

Is that a script med or a co-op med

Pet Doc :

If this little one is eating (preferably hay) and is otherwise happy, then there will definitely be options for treatment

Pet Doc :

This is likely to be wound management as you have planned, however antibiotics will likely be nessary

Pet Doc :

necessary sorry!

Pet Doc :

It will be a Veterinary medication licensed for rabbits

Pet Doc :

Likely something like Enrofloxacin (or 'Baytril')

Customer:

i have amoxicillin, 8 oz creature, how much?,

Pet Doc :

Rabbits are so susceptible to infection - especially in this situation

Pet Doc :

They are also extremely susceptible to certain medications

Pet Doc :

Definitely do NOT give any amoxycillin to this boy

Pet Doc :

Your local Vet will be able to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic for him. Many human and canine/feline antibiotics are toxic to rabbits

Pet Doc :

Something like enrofloxacin would likely be prescribed

Pet Doc :

Get him seen tomorrow if you can

Pet Doc :

In the meantime - keep him warm and inside if possible

Pet Doc :

Feed him a high quality hay like timothy hay

Pet Doc :

http://www.jefferspet.com/natures-promise-western-timothy-hay/camid/LIV/cp/0031456/cn/3604/ - like this for example

Customer:

very well, I will see if Dr. Hoke will help me. I will keep the skin moist throughout the night along with water, is that appropriate? no hay, carrot?

Pet Doc :

Food as well - hay if you have a good quality bunny hay for him

Pet Doc :

small amounts of carrots are fine

Customer:

Your prognosis for real sir.

Pet Doc :

It really depends on the thickness and size of this wound

Pet Doc :

Without antibiotics and careful wound care - his prognosis is likely guarded to poor

Pet Doc :

With proper treatment and care his prognosis could be fair to good depending on the size of the issue

Pet Doc :

Let me know how you get on with your Vet if you get a chance

Pet Doc :

Hopefully everything can be done to save this little one

Customer:

What is the thickness of a cat or rabbit? we have a few thicknesses of dermis, this is like paper thin with hair on it

Pet Doc :

A cat's dermis is much thicker than a rabbits

Pet Doc :

A rabbit dermis is so thin and easily 'torn'

Pet Doc :

It can be torn down to the subcutis

Pet Doc :

Or it can be completely torn away to reveal muscles etc

Pet Doc :

Either way - any tear/wound can become infected and that is the main concern here

Customer:

that is probably where it is, no muscle is showing, no open wound

Pet Doc :

Ok - so the prognosis is slightly better, however still such a high chance of infection - you really will need to follow up on this with your Vet in the morning

Pet Doc :

Oral antibiotics, a topical wound spray and regular cleaning should do the trick though (so long as he is otherwise fine and eating/drinking as per normal)

Customer:

Ok, Thank you very much, Dr Hoke tomorrow, Sandra Coldiron, R.N.

Pet Doc :

No problem Sandra

Pet Doc :

Keep in touch with how you get on if you get chance please

Customer:

Goodnight Sir

Pet Doc :

Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful.

Pet Doc :

Kind Regards,

Pet Doc :

Dr Edwards

Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc