Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have 200 cockatiels, we have Klebsiella or Ecoli, yeast giaria,

I have 200 cockatiels, we have Klebsiella or Ecoli, yeast giaria, and round worms. Can they be treated with Goldenseal? Or what should I do? [email protected] Thank You
Hi there,
While goldenseal has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, I don't think it is going to be enough to clear the problem. The medications you used on the babies should also be used to treat the breeding flock. Using Goldenseal together with those medications is at worst harmless and at best might help, but I don't think it will be sufficient if used alone. And it won't remove the round worms. Any bird that could have contacted an infected bird or its droppings should be treated. Also, be careful to keep the cages very clean (wash with bleach with the birds put in another cage if possible). Water bottles help minimize water contamination with fecal material, which spreads these organisms.

I'd also caution you that birds that have had Giardia and yeast often become chronic carriers, showing no symptoms, but carrying the organisms around and passing them to other birds for life. You may treat now and experience flare-ups again in the future. Depopulation with really intense cleaning methods are really the only way to totally prevent it from coming back, and even this suboptimal approach isn't 100%, as a lot of birds you bring in to repopulate your aviary may also be affected. I would recommend if you are bringing in new birds to separate them from your existing flock for 30 days and either test or treat them for these illnesses.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I treat 200 birds they all live together. Treating them twice a day for 10 days, one at a time is not possible. Is there a way to treat the flock?

Usually you can find everything except possibly the metronidazole in a powder form that can be dissolved in the water source. If you can't find the metronidazole in this formulation, the fenbendazole may be sufficient without it.