Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Follow-up: The wound is about two inches wide by 2 1/2

The wound is about two inches wide by 2 1/2 long, down to the bone & tissues. I think it looks okay. Her injured leg and shoulder were swollen as well, but seems to be going down. I am however, concerned about her foot...between her hoof nails looks to be a little red and the hoof is pretty swollen (almost twice size of other one)...

I was wrapping the entire leg, but stopped that last didn't know if that was what was causing the increased swelling??? So now only wrapping at the site of injury. Continuing to cleanse with Vetericyn spray, use neosporin crm, dressing and vet wrap. Also giving her aspirin as you advised.

Should I be do anything different.
Hi again...

It is not unusual for injuries such as this to , by gravity, swell below the injury. It is best to only place a light wrap on the lesion and apply cold compresses to the hoof area that is swollen. This is most likely fluid that has moved by gravity to this area. Do this every 4-6 hrs for 3 minutes which will help decrease the swelling just as the aspirin will also.

It is a very good sign that your girl is still doing well. You did not say but I am assuming she is still eating and feeling well.

Good job!

Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, eating good and now starting to laying down...whereas, before, she stood the entire time since the injury happened.

That is excellent, Stacey...I would not worry about the swelling of the hoof...this is secondary to the injury and will are doing great and I am sure your girl will heal within 1 week.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I be giving the ATB daily....? I

Yes, Stacey...the antibiotics should be given daily unless it is Benzathine Penicillin which is a long acting penicillin. I did not catch what you are giving but in most cases, the antibiotics should be given for 7-10 days to be sure the infection is under control.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pro-Pen-G is what we have

Perfect, Stacey...this is Procaine Penicillin which is given once daily for 7-10 days...Good Luck!

Thank you so much, Stacey for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your girl's wound. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Hi Stacy Anderson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well. The last two days she has been pulling at the dressing and getting it off. I have been using the vet wraps plus a bandage & gauze with the neosporin oint, Tri-Care & the Vetericyn spray, plus ATB shots.... Last night she was licking and picking at it & it started bleeding. No infection "yet". I think it is a little better, but a long way from healing...Still an open would...I can still see bone & surrounding tissue.

Thanks for the update, Stacy...

It may be time to remove the wrap...continue applying the topical anti bacterial ointment and this tissue that you see is probably granulation tissue that acts as the bodies bandage as this heals. It may not look like it is healing to you, Stacy, but I bet it is and the tissue is this granulation tissue...if you continue this treatment, the wound will heal well.