Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello again, this time my friend has a bad ear problem, shakes

Hello again, this time my friend has a bad ear problem, shakes her head side to side often, even when playing. pushes her head on me for a good rub, don't know if it helps her but seems to make her happy, chequed inside ear, don't see any redness, more pinkish, have put a few ear drop med inside her ear but only once. brought her to vet before, couldn't see anything, please help, thanks, Paul
Hello Paul, welcome back! Nice to talk to you again.

1- How often is this happening?
2- Did the vet look inside her ears with the otoscope?
3- Have you flushed the ears?
4- So you are seeing nothing abnormal inside both ear canals like redness, bad odor, discharge, etc. correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is on going for long time now, maybe a year or more but never as bad as now, it's allways. vet has only look inside her ear with her eyes and said no bad odors, no discharge. I don't know what you mean by flushing her ear, we go swimming often, could this be the problem?

Paul, it is possible the problem could be deeper in the ear canal (middle canal) where one would need the use of an otoscope to look inside. If she is swimming often it could be water in her middle canal. This is what you can do:
1- Pick up in your local pet store and over the counter ear wash if you don't have one already.
2- Pour the liquid inside her ear canal (both ears) until the ear is full (it will be messy), then massage the base of the ear to loosen up any potential debris inside the canal.
3- Then, take cotton and clean all of the solution. Fill free to fill up the ear canal with cotton to dry the area deep into the canal, make sure you remove all of the cotton after.
4- Make sure every time she goes swimming you dry her deeper canal using cotton as described above.
5- If she continues to shake her head after doing the above I would have her re-checked by family veterinarian for an otoscope examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Piper. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter