Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have an 8 month old High Yellow Leopard Gecko. Ive had him

I have an 8 month old High Yellow Leopard Gecko. I've had him for about a month and for the first week and a half of that month he did not eat and his tail was maybe a bit shy of a 1/4" thick. Now after two and a half weeks of finally eating crickets, at first 5 a day for the first week then suddenly as many as I could drop in (usually about 20), he still hasn't seemed to gain much weight. He's definitely a little bigger, but not by much. His tail is probably a solid 1/4" to a little over 1/4" now. Is he growing normally or is that slow and is there a cause? It feels slow to me but I don't know if I'm just expecting too much from the guy.

Extra Details:
Substrate: Slate Tile
Substrate Temps: Warm hide:90 Cool Hide: 72
Feeding: Crickets mostly dusted with Rapashy Superfoods Calcium Plus
Occasionally give him mealworms dusted with Calcium Plus
Also have a cap full of calcium in the corner.
He seems to be going to the bathroom fairly regularly and normally.
Hi there,
It sounds like you are doing an excellent job with your new leopard gecko! It's not unusual for them to refuse food at first due to being in a new environment. Now that he is eating well, he will grow slowly. With his tail getting visibly a little thicker, he is getting plenty to eat, but a month is not a very long time, and I don't expect to see a huge change in size right away.

Especially with crickets, it's tough to overfeed geckoes, as long as he is cleaning all the food up within 10-15 minutes (so the food doesn't bite/harrass him if he's full). Things that are fatty like waxworms and pinkies can make him fat, though. Your management sounds fantastic. The only thing I'd suggest is to make sure you are giving your crickets or mealworms a gut-loading product as a food source for at least 12-24 hours before you feed, so their bellies are full of nutrients for your gecko.

With a little more time, I expect that tail will start to fatten up. Good luck with your new lizard!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How would I gut load the mealworms or crickets. I have a cricket keeper and I leave a slice of apple in it for them is that fine?

Apple or carrot is good. You can also get commercial gut loading products (they usually come as gels) that are a little more nutritionally balanced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also I accidentally ordered crickets that are a little bigger than what he should be eating. if he still eats them though is there any reason I shouldn't feed him the rest?

Nope! As long as he can get a hold of them and swallow them, they will be fine. The little ones are a bit more digestible, but the only real concern is that if he doesn't eat them, they should be removed so they don't bite him and create skin wounds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great, and final two questions:

In regards XXXXX XXXXX cage set up I have

Cage Setup with Roar

Does that look too cramped for him or is that not really an issue? (The light rocks form a hide for him so he can be under or on top of that) As he grows older will this cage (10x20x12) and cage set up be okay or will I have to get a bigger one or take things out?

Second question, I don't have a humid hide for him, how important is that? When Ive noticed him get pale, as in about to shed, I put a wet paper towel in his warm hide and change it out every day.