Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Hi my dog was bitten by an insect 3 weeks ago treated by anti-biotic

Hi my dog was bitten by an insect 3 weeks ago treated by anti-biotic injection and tablets for a week. He has been fine until tonight, he is swallowing hard and very skittish, not like him at all. He has not slept but eaten and drunk today. He keeps on going outside and eating grass, then coming in but cant settle. Can you give me some advice

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. I would doubt of course that this is in any way related to the previous insect bite episode. Where a dog is swallowing and licking his lips like that and is uncomfortable and is eating grass it usually because he is feeling nauseous and may be about to experience a bout of vomiting. Stop him eating grass if you can because this itself will cause nausea and vomiting.

This sort of thing can often occur where a dog has eaten something he should not have, perhaps out in the garden. Of course other diagnosis are possible ...

2. What to do about it ? : Well I have to say that this sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Teddy over without delay. However some owners would try the following while waiting for their vet's appointment.

1. I am aware that some owners use the likes of Pepto-Bismol if you have any handy to treat their dogs with nausea and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Teddy deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet