Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my cat is limping and withdrawn, earileir today she coughed

Customer Question

my cat is limping and withdrawn, earileir today she coughed a few times and isnt eating or drinking that we see, her stool and urin is normal is she an 8 month old kitten.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Given the age of your kitten and the coughing, I think that a respiratory infection is a possibility. These are very common in juvenile cats, and chest pain and not feeling well can make them walk differently than usual. The other possibility that comes to mind is that she fell while jumping on or off of an object and hurt herself. I think this is less likely, given the coughing, but it is still a possibility.

It's great that you've offered her food and water (and I presume litter) in a place that's quiet and out of the way. You can also offer her some very stinky and delicious canned cat food to try to get her to eat. If she's not considerably better by tomorrow, I'd suggest a trip to the veterinarian to have them listen to her chest and do a physical exam. They may be able to treat an infection or offer you pain medication that will help further. Do not give her any human over the counter pain medications, as these are highly toxic to cats.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she also has a bump on her left side of her neck could this be apart of a resp infection?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was a mistake I am extremely satisfied. I do however want to know she also has a bump on her left side of her neck I didn't notice before. Is this still likely a respitory infection.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Is the bump under the skin? Or does it seem to be in the skin itself? If the bump is under the skin, it might be a lymph node that can swell up with infection. If it's in the skin itself, I'd be more concerned that it's a separate issue. If it's got a hole in it or seems to be oozing, it could be a parasite in the skin that needs to be removed by the vet. It pretty much depends on where on her neck it is, and also whether it is in the skin or under the skin.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrTaus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We went to the vet on Friday her fever went from 105-103 from thurs to fri. The vet gave her something fo her fever and an antibiotic. She seems fine but has the bump still is there. We go back again this coming Friday for blood tests. But for now hazel is running jumping and eating and drinking. Even on the hunt for flies. She caught 4!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But she still sneezes a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
It's great to hear she's feeling better! The sneezing may take a few weeks to clear up, but if she's feeling good and back in action, that's a great sign!
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello. It's regard hazel again. She developed huge bumps under her neck. After swelling went down she has a sore that's scabbed over and no hair around it. But hair growing in the middle. I have a pictures but don't know how to upload them via iPad here. She shows no signs of pain.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 11 months ago.
I am currently waiting to hear from the system admin about how to up load pictures-- I will let you know when I know :).

It sounds as if her lymph nodes may have been enlarged from being ill. As long as the swelling has gone down and she is not having trouble breathing, I think you can continue to monitor at home. Alternatively, you could have your vet use a needle to pull out some of the contents of the sore or swollen area to see if it is an abscess or a swollen lymph node.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The bump seems to be going down but the scab isn't going away. I am going to take her to the vet. Just have to wait until I have the money saved up for the operation.
Sounds like a good plan. If it is just an abscess or the like, it may not take much to fix.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could I email you a picture of hazels neck. I'm just anxious about her.
Here are some options for sending a picture:
The customer can use the upload tool on the toolbar. If they have trouble with that, they can use an outside file sharing source like www.mediafire.com

Here are the instructions we give for www.imgur.com:

I also wanted to mention a site called imgur.com that's really great for sharing picures. It's free, and all you need to do is go to the site and:

1. click the "Computer" button
2. double click the image on your computer
3. click "start upload"

Then just copy/paste the new link in the browser window and you can immediately supply your Expert with your pictures by posting the link to your question page.

If these don't work, let me know and we will try something else.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not only a vet but a techie. Here is the link. Hope it works. http://imgur.com/XVEhvaa
http://imgur.com/AsMYJsl
Haha, I copied and pasted that from the admin. Alas, I am technologically challenged. I did work, though.

That looks like an abscess that may have ruptured at some point. The hair in the center is probably dead and plugging up the spot where it may have ruptured. Which is good, because if they rupture and drain, they usually heal pretty quickly. Could she have gotten bitten or scratched by something?

You can (gently) scrub the area with soap and water, and if it comes off easily and she will let you, remove any dead, crusted material that may be associated with the hair in the middle. A little seeping blood is ok. If you see it fill/swell back up, she probably needs to have it professionally drained and go back on antibiotics. But when they look like hers does, they often heal up pretty quickly on their own.

I hope this eases your mind, and I'm glad we got the picture figured out :).