Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dogs gums are white?

Customer Question

My dogs gums are white?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your dog who has white gums. When did you notice this? How is your dog right now? Is he or she breathing ok? Have you noticed any other symptoms?

I look forward to hearing from you asap.

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just noticed today. Breathing is somewhat labored. He seems lethargic

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that.

The white gums is a REAL concern and he needs to be seen by your local Vet or ER Vet immediately. There are a number of possible reasons for this palor including an internal bleed or anemia from another cause, to shock or pain.

In combination with the labored breathing, this really is an emergency and you need to take him along to a local vet straight away. Here they can carry out a full physical exam and run a full blood panel. If his breathing is labored, then they will also supply him with supplemental oxygen. It only takes a couple of quick tests to see if your boy is in fact anemic and further investigation will hopefully find the reason for the sudden onset of these symptoms.

Best of luck with your boy and as above - get him seen right now.

Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

I am happy to help with your boy until you are satisfied. Is there anything in particular you would like to know?

If he isn't panting and seems otherwise ok, then continue to ask further questions. If his breathing is labored, he needs to be seen by your local ER Vet right away.

Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc