Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

I am using Tetracycline Hydrochloride to treat a foot wound

I am using Tetracycline Hydrochloride to treat a foot wound on a pet duck. She has been treated to 24 hours. I noticed a small amount of white foam on the side of her mouth. Other than this, she is completely normal. Should I be doing something else?
Hello, I'm Dr.Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Katie's problem with her foot. You can increase the efficacy of tetracycline by adding 1 cup of cranberry juice, 1/2 cup of vinegar, or two teaspoons of citric acid (used for canning) to the drinking water. Also be sure there isn't any oyster shell grit or other sources of calcium available as it interferes with the action of tetracyclines. The white foam is probably not a problem, but you should watch her closely to be sure the problem is resolving. There are more effective antibiotics than tetracycline, like enrofloxacin (Baytril), but for minor injuries, tetracycline should be just fine when used with an acidifier as I've suggested. If I may be of further assistance, or if you should have more questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr.Bob