Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

My male syrian hamster has swelling and a little redness by

My male syrian hamster has swelling and a little redness by his genitals that I have never noticed before and is walking a bit stiffly. It is not by his testicles. He is still eating and drinking fine, but I feel there is something wrong. Any ideas?
Hi there,
It sounds as if Chip might have a skin infection developing in that area. It's not unusual for infections to develop from dragging against the cage or toys, and swelling and discomfort can make it difficult to walk normally. My recommendation would be to thoroughly clean and bleach the cage, to kill any bacteria that are living in there. I'd also recommend a trip to your vet to get antibiotics prescribed for him to help clear up the infection. While topicals (neosporin, etc) work well for people, animals tend to just lick them off. Do watch him and see if he is licking or chewing in the area, too. Sometimes, if he's doing this, adding a new toy or wheel can distract him and get him to stop.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.