Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Our Boxer dog who is 11 years old and had a lump removed last

Our Boxer dog who is 11 years old and had a lump removed last week is suddenly behaving strangely like rushing everywhere and turning around all the time - wanting to be outside all the time - sitting in confined spaces and sitting in the corner of the room - goes places he has not gone before like in the bathroom wants to sit next to you when on the toilet.
Hi there,
It sounds as though Lennox is experiencing some mental confusion. This can come from a variety of sources, but I am very doubtful that it is directly related to having the other lump removed.

Cognitive dysfunction (similar to Alzheimer's disease in humans) is a real entity in aging dogs, and they often show signs like you are describing-- changes in behavior, periods of anxiety, and sitting in corners. There's no specific treatment for this, but keeping to a careful routine, providing toys that stimulate the mouth and tongue, and feeding a diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids (such as fish oils) can help. Giving a little Benedryl at bedtime can encourage sleeping at the right times and help maintain a routine.

Beyond that, other possibilities include various disease processes going on within the brain. While it would be incredibly rare for the lump you had removed to also affect the brain, it would not be unusual for a Boxer to have a second mass within the brain. We can also sometimes see inflammatory diseases within the brain. My recommendation to you would be to ask yourself how important it is for you to know exactly what is going on. If you want to know exactly what the problem is, regardless of whether it is treatable or not, so you can specifically treat any treatable problem that is present, I'd recommend a referral to a neurologist, who may look at cerebrospinal fluid or do an MRI. This can be quite expensive. If you are only concerned with having a comfortable dog, I'd recommend talking to your veterinarian about medical options that might improve clinical signs. It might not solve the problem, and you might not get a clear answer about the reasons Lennox has started behaving in this way, but you can get improvements in quality of life.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.