Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have 9 feeder pigs, about 5-6 months old/130lbs. I have

I have 9 feeder pigs, about 5-6 months old/130lbs. I have one who will not eat--it's been 48 hours now. She just lays there when the others eat. I tried to take her temp but she will get up to move away. I raise them on pasture. About 3 weeks ago this happened to another pig and she is doing great now--took about 5 days to be all better. This new pig however seems more lethargic. ...and I am wondering why I keep getting sick pigs....
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you've been getting some sick pigs. I'm a little curious about their weight. I would expect a 6 month old pig to weigh closer to 200 lb, on average across the herd. Do you deworm regularly? If not, the first thing I'd suggest is to deworm the entire herd. Especially as your pigs are pasture-raised, worms are always going to be a concern.

It's good that you tried to take her temp, and it's also good that she decided that wasn't a good plan. I'd suggest separating her from the other pigs while she is sick so she doesn't pass her illness on to the others and so they don't bother her while she's recovering. She also may benefit from antibiotics-- Penicillin or LA-200, which you can get over the counter at the feed store or from most vets that do some large animal practice, are broad-spectrum and will treat a variety of illnesses. Just be sure to check the withdrawal time on the bottle if you are nearing selling or butchering your pigs.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your reply

yes they may be closer to 200lbs, I can't weigh them but use a tape measure to guesstimate--they look big and healthy.

she ate last night (some grain, cucumbers and grass) and looked MUCH better. This is the 3rd pig it has happened to. It usually takes 3-5 days to recover. Would it be a stomach virus, or....what? I am just trying to figure if it is something I am doing wrong. I have been doing this for 10 years and some years I have no health problems at all and then others they just seem to linger.

as per deworming. I am organic so I have been putting DE in their grain this year. 2TBS/pig/day.

A virus is certainly a possibility, especially as it seems to be making a circuit in your herd. I just don't know where it would be coming in if you aren't bringing new pigs onto the farm and you've had the ones you've got for several months.

I'm glad to hear she is doing better. One suggestion I'd have is to submit fecal samples to your vet for worms just to make sure the DE is doing the job and you don't need other organic remedies. Parasites are often a big problem in organic production because there are usually worm eggs in the soil.
Hi Keena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?