Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

We had our goats at a neighbors pature. A dog accidentally

We had our goats at a neighbors pature. A dog accidentally got in the the goats, chasing them. One goats who is 6mos old ran into an old piece of machinery, received a deep laceration, which the skin is missing so you can see portion of left leg where it connects to body. Not broken. Wrapping with sterile dressing, ATB ointment. The wound is clean. Tetanus is given. Gave injection of ATB. She will not lay down, since it happened, I am assuming due to discomforg. What should be be doing....?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl...I know this is very stressful on you and her...

You have done everything great so far and be sure to change this wrap daily and give the antibiotic injection daily. Your poor little girl is very painful from the bruising caused by this injury so the best thing you can do is to give aspirin to her at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the discomfort that your little girl is experiencing from this injury.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you...

Is there a specific ATB you recommend for the injection.... Would Tri + Care be good to put on...or just continue with over the counter ATB ointment...? I heard Manuka Honey is good for wounds?

Hi Stacey...I use Penicillin G at 1 cc per 20 pounds every 24 hrs which can be purchased over the counter at the farm supply. I would also recommend an over the counter antibiotic creme such as Neosporin rather than manuka Honey...this is used as a hyperosmotic agent but has not anti bacterial properties.

Good job, are doing great!!

Thank you so much, Stacey for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your girl's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. Young goats are not very hearty and you may have to provide supportive care such as fluids and force feed until she is feeling better.

Have a great day!!