Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Hi I have a sick chinchilla

Hi I have a sick chinchilla
Hi there,
So sorry to hear your chinchilla is ill. Chinchillas have a very delicate balance of normal bacteria in their intestinal tracts, and any kind of illness or medication can upset that. I suspect that your chinchilla's normal bacteria might be out of balance from being ill and being on medication.

It sounds as if you've finished your antibiotics (good job!), and I'd advise giving him some time with no more medication to let things balance out. I'd also recommend continuing your probiotics to help correct the bacterial balance in his gut. If you can find it (online or through your vet), I'd also recommend a product from Oxbow called Critical Care. It is a good diet for chinchillas and other small mammals that are not feeling well and aren't enthusiastic about their normal food. It helps make sure they get the fiber, vitamins, and minerals they need in order to recover.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. It's a very general answer of course because you haven't seen the animal. I am rating it "bad" because I paid "more" in order to have my answer faster which didn't happen in the time promised. Also, the website is misleading because it sounds like you can pay what you think after the answer is given. I will not use this site again.

I'm sorry to hear that the service is not as you expected, especially as this affects my personal performance rating rather than the rating of the site's service in general. Best of luck in the future.