Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

heifer bagging up

I have a heifer calf I did an AI on in Nov, I never saw a heat after that, but I may not have noticed, the ai person checked her in Feb and said she was open. Gave up and bought a little two month old weaned bull calf. he tried nursing a couple of times on her and she kicked him, I never saw him try again but he could have been sneaky. that was four months ago....about two weeks ago she began to bag up, now she has fluid from all four quarters. if she had been bred she would calve about 30 Aug - 3 Sept. She does not look very big...is she pregnant or just bagging up because the little bull might be nursing (she seems to kick him every time)

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I will do my best to help you with your question about Annabelle. I'm sorry she's got you puzzling over her situation, but happy you are looking for answers.

Dr. Jo :

If you wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY. I'll be able to see your response and we can chat back and forth.

Dr. Jo :

You summarized your question by asking if she is pregnant or just bagging up from the bull calf nursing. I'll be straight to the point and explain that either one is possible.

Dr. Jo :

It does happen from time to time that a person will erroneously call a cow open. It's not 100% foolproof, and depends on a lot of things.

Dr. Jo :

It's also possible that this bull calf is sneaking enough nursing time to cause Annabelle to bag up.

Dr. Jo :

In my opinion, it's more likely that she is pregnant.

Dr. Jo :

Time will tell, of course, or you could have her preg checked again.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dr. Jo :

My computer says you are online. To join the conversation you may type in a response and click REPLY. Then I'll be able to make sure you're satisfied with the information I've given.

Dr. Jo :

Even after you've left the chat or if I am no longer online, you can post more to this thread and I'll be notified via email. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX asked the vet to come out weds but the suspense is killing me:) the scales are in perfect balance either way, aren't they, what are the odds I would bring in a young calf during this time to muddy the waters:)? I am so hoping you are right, I was do disapointed when the said she was open, I have raised this little bottle calf from five days old, through three bad illnesses as a calf (she had literally rode about in the back of my H3 hooked up to an IV when I had a meeting I had to get to so I am inordanately attached to her I suppose). I appreciate your input - heres to hoping for a calf! thank you again!

Customer:

Janice

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annabelle. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo